Sorry it has been so long, but I am back! In all honesty, I have been completely caught up in a whirlwind of university exams for the past month which has left me a hollow shell of a person, sans creative energy.
However, I am well into my summer holidays now and I am slowly getting back on my feet & will definitely be posting more regularly.
Something exciting that has happened in my absence is that I managed to hit 1k followers which is absolutely incredible, thank you. This is the first numbers based milestone that I am celebrating and I am sending so much love to every single one of you who decided that my voice is something you want to listen to in this crazy world filled with too much noise.
To celebrate, I thought I would do something different and finally pass along the Entertainer Blogger Award which Alyssa nominated me for quite some time ago, sorry it has taken me so long to respond!
Firstly, a little bit about Alyssa. For anyone who doesn’t follow her, I will say hand over heart that she is one of my favourite bloggers ever and you’re missing out. She has consistently entertained me with the letters she writes to her daughter, Lily June, in these universally applicable life lessons filled with tidbits of wisdom told with generous helpings of humour, self awareness and tied together with absolutely beautiful descriptions. Go check out her blog, I’ll wait here.
The Rules of The Entertainer Blogger Award:
- Write a post including the award picture
- Nominate 12 other bloggers who are funny, inspiring, and most importantly, entertaining.
- Add these rules to the post
- Thank the person who nominated you and leave a link to their blog!
- Also, answer the questions down below.
Why did you start to blog in the first place?
I remember starting my first ever blog when I was still a child (11ish?) because my mother forced me to do it.
We were going on holiday to Rotorua and I guess she was willing to try anything to get me out of her hair even for a little while.
After posting (terrible) pictures and journal entries about my adventures, I get an email from a stranger stating that if I place their ads onto my blog, they would pay me 40USD which was an astronomical amount to my younger self. I remember being really excited and begging my (rightfully) skeptical dad to set everything up for me right away.
Unsurprisingly, I never got the money but the habit stuck and so began an endless cycle of new blogspots and tumblrs and wordpress blogs where I shopped around for the best content, style and version of myself. Originally known as ‘matrixunfulfilled’ this blog here has two years worth of opinion writing, advice pieces and poetry. It has outlasted any boyfriends I’ve had and I am still here and loving it. I think this might be home.
What is your favourite book?
This is actually so difficult to choose and also a good reminder I should read more
For Kids: Family Collection by Enid Blyton
Fun stories about the benign adventures of a sweet family. Going on a cruise from London to New York is on my bucket list because of this book.
For Teens: Tomorrow When the War Began by John Marsden
I remember just lying on my bed for hours in the middle of the day listening to the audiobooks in this series because of how gripping the story was. I may or may not have cried when I heard I could meet John Marsden at a writer’s festival.
For Everyone: The Little Prince
It’s both a quirky little story and something that really makes you think. The movie is also highly recommended. I wanted to get a tattoo of the elephant inside the snake on my wrist but I’m still a little hesitant about it so we’ll see.
I thought I’d also give my top 3 movie recommendations because why not?
It’s such a beautiful day
Creative, beautiful, perfect. Warning though, it is not a light-hearted journey into happy-town. It is intense and will leave you curled up in a ball in the dark questioning your existence.
In all honesty I’m not a die hard Tarantino fan, I’m very neutral about his other films except for this one. What I love most is that the movie begins after ‘the action’ and focuses on characters interacting in the aftermath and that alone kept on the edge of my seat for the whole ride.
Avoid spoilers at all costs & just watch this movie. Be prepared to search for other people discussing the movie afterwards because you don’t want to let go of this experience.
What do you dislike the most?
I flip-flop between myself and other people, too real?
What is your favourite food item from the mall?
If you ever visit Auckland and decide to get food in the CBD & you’re not looking for something fancy, the sushi at metro is pretty bomb.
What is your favourite pastime activity?
I love to waste my life on:
- youtube (I suggest watching her videos, or his, or theirs)
- tumblr (I suggest reading his poetry or checking out her art)
- wordpress (Check them out)
I’m tagging: (not 12 but 5 wonderful people)
- James: A doctor (to be?) who shares stories & life lessons he learns from trials and tribulations in all aspects of his life as best he can with the rest of us. Powerful stuff.
- Olive Juice Ju: A college student who shares stories & life lessons she learns from being at college. Incredibly relatable as a fellow college student but also for anyone else too.
- Sneha: A poet that is far more prolific than I and often amazes me with how different her style is, I learn a lot from reading her work!
- Melody: Another poet who funnily enough is from the same town as me & I am yet to meet. Instead of raving about her amazing work, I thought I’d mention we literally stumbled upon each other on WordPress, isn’t that the beauty of the internet?
- Pinkhavilah: I am absolutely jealous of how real this girl is & how (at least from an outsider’s perspective) beautiful words just seem to tumble out of her & nothing is forced.
So, now that I’ve shared some of my favourite things and people, I would love it if you guys would recommend to me some of your favourite songs/movies/books/poets/creators (even if it happens to be yourself) because I am always on the hunt for more people I can fangirl over and potentially friend!
p.s. don’t quote me on this but my next few poems may or may not be fairy tale themed so if that’s your thing then (!!!)